Where to find a low-cost lifejacket
By REPORTER STAFF
Mercer Island Reporter Staff
July 11, 2012 · 10:57 AM
There are sources of low-cost lifejackets, also known as personal flotation devices (PFDs), that meet federal safety standards.
Big 5 Sporting Goods has partnered with drowning prevention advocates to offer a 25 percent discount coupon for lifejackets at all stores statewide.
Go the Seattle Children’s website and click on the Big 5 coupon for a downloadable coupon and details, at www.seattlechildrens.org/safety-wellness.
It is July, and the air may be warm, but the water is not. As you head out to play in the warm weather, remember that rivers are fast, cold and dangerous. Follow these safety steps to be sure that a day of fun doesn’t turn tragic.
- Choose a lifeguarded beach or pool over an unpredictable and fast moving river.
- Wear a lifejacket and make sure it meets the U.S. Coast Guard standard.
- Know how to swim and how to perform CPR.
- Do not use drugs or alcohol.
- Watch children closely, keeping them within arm’s reach.
Contact Mercer Island Reporter Staff Reporter Staff at email@example.com.