- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Make sure your kids protect their electronic devices at school | Back To School
The technology used at school and at home by young people may be more expensive and sophisticated than in the past, but kids are still kids. Parents need to take steps to ensure their children make the most of their devices and protect their gear.
Here are some things to consider before letting kids take their technology out of the house:
• Don’t opt for the most souped-up devices until you can trust your kids. Buy basic models first or buy used ones until your kids prove themselves responsible.
• Consider extended warranties for valuable tech items.
• Protective cases should be used whenever devices aren’t in use, especially when traveling to school and on family vacations. Save money and simplify with a universal case that allots for storage of cables and other accessories. For example, the iEssentials Universal Tablet Case Series works with the Apple iPad, Android-based tablets and all e-readers, including Kindle and Nook. This way, your child can use the case with any device — even those you haven’t yet bought.
• Instill great habits in your children such as never leaving devices in the car, especially during extreme weather. Teach children to lock devices in a safe place during the school day, and never leave open drinks near tablets and e-readers.
• Get extra cables and chargers. Kids are prone to lose wires and accessories. To save money and time, choose a compact universal charger that works with all devices. For example, the DigiPower Cross-Brand Tablet Charger works on all USB-powered tablets from Apple, Samsung, HTC and BlackBerry. Such chargers are ideal for use on-the-go, so that active but potentially forgetful kids don’t end up with a low-battery dilemma.
• Impress upon your children the value of their gadgets with simple math. If they receive an allowance, calculate how long it would take them to save up enough to replace the device themselves. Or calculate the number of chocolate bars a gadget is equal to in cost. By putting it into terms they understand, they’ll be more likely to protect their technology.
• If traveling light is a priority for your child, go with a form-fitting case that can be used on any device. For instance, Travelocity Travel Tablet Cases fit all 7- to 8-inch and 9- to 10-inch tablet or e-reader models, have a thin design ideal for travel, but still provide extra cushioning.
• Appeal to children’s sense of individuality to entice them to always use protective cases on pricey devices. Let your kid guard that gadget with a stylish case with a snazzy design of his or her choosing.
More information on protecting your family’s devices can be found at www.mizco.com.
Help your children to help you save time and money by giving them the tools to protect their devices.