- About Us
Stay safe this Halloween with tips from the MIPD
Every year hundreds of children take to the streets for Halloween. No matter what age you are, here are a few easy tips from the Mercer Island Police Department to help keep you and your trick-or-treaters safe:
• Don’t ever go into a stranger’s house. Always have a parent or responsible adult with you when going to a stranger’s door.
• Always look both ways before crossing a street. If you are going to be walking around dark streets and in neighborhoods at night, wear reflective tape and take a flashlight.
• Don’t trick-or-treat in neighborhoods alone. Make sure you are accompanied by a responsible parent or adult.
• Eat only factory-wrapped candy. Don’t eat anything that is homemade unless you know, and trust, the person who gave it to you.
• Always tell someone/parents when and what areas you will be trick-or-treating in before you go out.
• Some people use this holiday to commit crimes against property and animals. Do not partake in any act that can hurt someone, an animal, or something that does not belong to you.
• Watch those jack-o’-lanterns that are lit with a candle — make sure they are not close to anything flammable.
• If you are having a party this year, be courteous and responsible. After 10 p.m., the city of Mercer Island does have an enforceable noise ordinance. If you serve alcohol at your party, don’t let people drink and drive. Make sure everyone has a safe ride home.
Here are a few links for more safety tips and information on Halloween: