Caring for pets this holiday season | Tips from the MIPD

We at the Mercer Island Police Department want to make sure that you get to enjoy the holidays with all of your family members … especially your pets! This month I wanted to give everyone some tips on what to do if your pet is ever lost, stolen, or runs away.

Tips to best prepare your pet for an emergency or accidental “escape”:

• Have your pets licensed and microchipped. Keep your pet’s medical/chip/license information updated as it changes and in a location where you can immediately access it in case of an emergency.

• Make sure your pet is wearing a collar and the tag has up-to-date contact information.

• Have emergency food and water set aside for your pet in case of a natural disaster emergency. Keep this food and water with the emergency items that you keep for your family. Have enough food and water to last at least three days; 7-10 is recommended. Also, have crates/carriers that are easily accessible and ready.

• Keep a computer record of your pet’s medical/chip/license history with the emergency food. Send a copy of this information to an out-of-area friend/family member in case something happens to you.

• Have your pet neutered/spayed to prevent the urge to wander as well as reducing aggressive behavior.

If your pet is lost or you have found a lost pet:

• If you have found a pet, take it to a vet clinic or the Humane Society and have it scanned.

• Call Island pet care clinics to report the lost/found pet. Here are numbers for clinics located on Mercer Island.

Mercer Island Veterinary Clinic: (206) 232-0333

Mercy Vet: (206) 232-7667

Island Cats Veterinary Hospital: (206) 232-2837

• Make flyers with a photo of the pet, if possible, and contact information. Post these flyers at vet clinics, stop signs, intersections and park areas immediately.

• Post ads on Craigslist, the Mercer Island Reporter or other sites, leaving out at least one identifying feature for security purposes.

• Call the Humane Society and Animal Control, especially if a lost pet is not licensed or chipped.

Humane Society Eastgate location: (425) 641-0080

Animal Control King County (Kent): (206) 296-7387

• If you find these above locations are closed, please contact Aerowood Animal Hospital, which is open 24/7. Aerowood Animal Hospital: 2975 156th Ave. S.E., Bellevue, WA 98007.

Police support officer and animal advocate Anna Ormsby contributed to this article.

Happy Holidays and stay safe.

Contact Officer Jira at

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates