- About Us
Time to recycle that holiday tree
As the holiday season winds down, many Islanders may start to wonder what to do with their Christmas trees.
The City encourages all residents to recycle their trees via one of the following free options:
- Tree Chipping: The City's annual holiday tree chipping service is offered through Monday, January 6 for MI Residents only. Undecorated holiday trees can be brought to the City Maintenance Shop at 9601 SE 36th Street during daylight hours where staff will chip the tree and re-purpose it for use in City parks, trails, and open spaces. For safety, leave your tree in the designated location only. When dropping off your holiday tree for chipping:
- Remove tree stands
- Remove all ornaments and lights
- Deliver your tree only during daylight hours
- Note: No flocked or artificial trees will be accepted
- Note: No garbage or other yard waste will be accepted
- Tree Recycling: All curbside yard waste customers can set holiday trees out on their regularly scheduled collection day. Trees must be free of flocking, tinsel, ornaments, and metal hangers, cut to 4-foot lengths, and tied into bundles less than 2 feet by 3 feet. Use biodegradable string or twine to secure bundles instead of nylon, plastic, or other synthetic materials. (Note: Flocked trees are not recyclable and will not be accepted; put flocked trees in the garbage.)
For more information, contact the City's Maintenance Department at (206) 275-7608.
• The Boy Scouts: Finally, the Scouts are picking up trees for a fundraiser. Watch for their signs on Island streets.