On April 26, the Mercer Island Preschool Assocation will hold their largest fundraising event of the year — the 48th Annual “Circus!”
The event is from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Mercer Island High School. There will be something for everyone, from pony rides to bouncy houses, cupcake walks to local entertainers.
The Circus is a large-scale event, with a small-town homespun feel. Generations of local families and businesses have been involved with planning, volunteering, sponsoring and executing this community event over its 48-year history.
Since 1966, Circus has grown into a festival that attracts hundreds of families from all over Seattle and the Eastside with food, games and activities including pony rides, Dizzy’s Tumble Bus, bouncy houses, face painting, cupcake walks, carnival games, a mini classic car show, the chance to meet a Seattle Seahawk player and more.
This year, Circus also welcomes Ezell’s Express food truck featuring Ezell’s Famous Chicken, along with several other food trucks, donuts and even a coffee cart for the grownups.
“This year’s Circus is going to be epic. Bring the kids and come hungry,” encouraged event chairs Stephanie Wyss and Katie Penny Shea.
“I’m so excited to take my son to his first Circus! He’s really excited about the pony rides and I’m looking forward to some of that Ezell’s fried chicken,” said MIPA publicity co-chair Megan Shay.
“Circus is going to be a great time for families, and the money really benefits the community,” she added.
Proceeds from Circus go towards MIPA’s grant program, which helps fund:
• Local parks including Dragon Park and Mercerdale Park (a.k.a. “Train Park”).
• The new playground at Luther Burbank Park, which MIPA donated $98,000 toward in 2013.
• Local libraries, including resources and programs for children.
• Social service organizations, including Mercer Island Youth & Family Services and others.
• Other worthy groups helping children beyond the Island.
• Preschool scholarships for families in need, which MIPA donates approximately $8,000 annually to fund.
Established in 1937, MIPA is a PTA affiliate and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. MIPA membership includes nearly 200 local families. For more information, visit the MIPA website at www.mipreschoolassociation.org.