- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Homemade Soft Pretzels | Recipe of the Week
What you need:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 package active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil, for pan
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Extra kosher or pretzel salt
• Combine water, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until mixture begins to foam, then add the flour and butter.
• Using dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Knead dough until it’s smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (4-5 minutes).
• Remove from the mixing bowl and place in a metal or glass bowl slightly oiled with vegetable oil. Cover and let sit in a warm place for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly brush with vegetable oil. Set aside.
• Bring 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in a large saucepan.
• In the meantime, turn dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into about 16 24-inch ropes and cut the ropes into 2-inch nuggets.
• As you work, place the nuggets or pretzels on your parchment baking sheet. When done, place about a whole rope’s worth in the water at the same time. After 30 seconds, remove from the water with a large, slotted spatula and return to one of your baking sheets.
• Brush the top of each pretzel or nugget with your egg wash mixture and sprinkle with salt. (Cinnamon sugar is good, too.) Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12-14 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes prior to serving.
By: Jess Weible