Fire damages North End Mercer Island home

On the morning of Sunday, Dec. 4 Mercer Island firefighters were called to a North End home, where there had been reports of smoke.

A 911 call from a neighbor said smoke was visible from the house, and could be seen from Interstate 90.

The fire department responded within four minutes to the waterfront home and located a fire in the swimming poll mechanical room located in the back yard.

The fire was quickly extinguished and did not spread. It was estimated that around $1,000 in damage was sustained to the room.

Three fire engines responded with one battalion unit, along with 10 personnel.

During the holiday season, fire officials remind Mercer Island residents to be careful. Keep Christmas trees away from heat sources, such a fireplaces or heating vent. Holiday lights should always be inspected for frayed wires, bare spots and other hazards. When using electoral outlets for lights do not overload. Fire officials recommend not linking more than three light strands.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates