- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
PSE sending 'bad odor' bills to remind customers of gas leaks
Puget Sound Energy bills now reaching more than 1.5 million homes and businesses through October include a scratch and sniff pamphlet to remind customers of the odorant used to help identify natural gas leaks.
A scratch on the natural gas safety pamphlet releases a distinctive, sulfur-like aroma, a smell similar to rotten eggs. To help detect natural gas leaks more easily, PSE and other natural gas utilities add an odorant, called mercaptan, to natural gas, which is naturally odorless and colorless.
“Every family needs to know that ‘rotten egg’ odor of natural gas so they can recognize, react and report a gas leak around their home or elsewhere,” said Andy Wappler, vice president of corporate affairs for PSE. “Safety comes first, and having your family know what to do is our top priority.”
In addition to bearing the “rotten egg smell”, the pamphlet also guides people to call 811 two days before digging to prevent damage to underground utility lines and on how to recognize and safely report suspected natural gas leaks by going to a safe location and calling PSE at 1-888-225-5773 or 911. PSE natural gas technicians will respond immediately at no charge from service centers located across Western Washington.
If a natural gas odor is smelled inside a house or building, the occupants should leave the premises immediately.
If anyone suspects a natural gas leak, follow these steps:
Leave the area immediately.
Do not use phones, and don't turn any electric switches, appliances or lights on or off.
Do not smoke, light a match, use a lighter or do anything that might create a spark.
Use a phone well away from the area and call PSE, 24 hours a day, at 1-888-225-5773, or 911.
“Smell isn’t the only way to detect a natural gas leak,” added Wappler. “A hissing sound or blowing dirt may also indicate a possible natural gas leak.”