Winter driving ahead
By REPORTER STAFF
Mercer Island Reporter Staff
October 22, 2012 · 12:51 PM
It’s time to prepare for rain, wind, snow and ice, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation.
Here’s what drivers can do to prepare for wintry roadway conditions:
• Download, print and carry the WSDOT Winter Driving Guide at www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter
• Download the WSDOT mobile app to your smartphone at www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle/products/
• Get your car ready and allow for extra time to cross all mountain passes.
• Carry chains and know the traction and chain requirements. Mountain pass traction and chain requirements are available on the WSDOT website, highway advisory signs and highway advisory radio.
• Preset 530 AM and 1610 AM on your radio.
Studded tires are legal for use only between Nov. 1 and March 31 in Washington state.
In addition to larger trucks hauling freight, the Washington State Patrol reminds all drivers that some larger passenger trucks, SUVs, recreational vehicles and trucks hauling trailers must also carry chains.
Tires labeled as all-season, all-weather, snow tire or studded (must be labeled M&S or with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall) qualify so long as they meet the standards set in WAC 204-24-040 Traction Devices.
When WSDOT requires chains to be put on, that also includes studded tires.
To learn more, go to www.wsdot.gov.
Contact Mercer Island Reporter Staff Reporter Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.