A truck for a duct cleaning service caught on fire while working on a home in the 8400 block of West Mercer Way around 1 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 24.
According to Steve Heitman, deputy chief for the Mercer Island Fire Department, the duct cleaner was working inside the home when the homeowner noticed smoke and found the back of the truck in flames. While the cause of the fire wasn't immediately apparent, it appeared there was gasoline in the back of the truck, along with a compressor and other equipment.
Heitman said the truck is a total loss, but that the fire did not extend to the house, though it did effect a nearby tree, which should also be ok. There were no injuries.
Four units from Mercer Island responded – from both the North and South end stations – as well as two units from Bellevue.
West Mercer Way in the area of the fire was closed while crews were working, but reopened later in the afternoon.
Below, the remains of a truck that caught fire on Thursday afternoon sit just feet from a house, which was not burned. (Mercer Island Fire Department/Contributed Photo.)