News

Chemical fire at M.I. Country Club

By Reporter staff

Improperly mixed chemicals in a chlorine mixing unit was the cause of a chemical fire at the Mercer Island Country Club on Saturday, May 14, according to a press release from the Mercer Island Fire Department.

A Seattle Hazardous Materials team's assistance was also required to contain and clean up after the fire.

A fire alarm detected the fire and club employees evacuated the building. No one was injured in the fire, but the building had to be ventilated due to the toxic levels of carbon monoxide and chlorine gases.

It took firefighters nearly an hour to bring the fire under control. Damage was contained to a room where the club stores and mixes chemicals for its swimming pool.

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 16 edition online now. Browse the archives.