Fire caused by BBQ damages Mercer Island home
By REPORTER STAFF
Mercer Island Reporter Staff
December 23, 2008 · Updated 1:30 PM
A residential fire broke out at 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 18 during the first day of heavy snow last weekend. Mercer Island and Bellevue Fire Departments responded to the fire, located a 4102 100th Ave. S.E., with difficulty due to the snowy weather. Icy road conditions prevented the fire fighters from getting their trucks close to the two-story house. All equipment had to be carried 150 yards down a steep driveway.
“My understanding is that the driveway had compact snow and ice, and of course that slowed things down,” said lieutenant Stephen Mair. “The benefit of the [fire truck] rig is that if we can’t get the rig there, we can pull the hose to the structure.”
The team of 22 firefighters — seven from Mercer Island and 15 from Bellevue — extinguished the flames in 71 minutes, with a fire watch remaining on-sight throughout the night.
According to reports, the fire originated under the rear deck of the two-story house and extended through the walls and into the attic. The owners were home and using a barbecue on the back deck when the fire started. After noticing smoke, they attempted to put out the flames using home extinguishers. A neighbor who saw the scene called 911. The first fire units arrived within seven minutes of receiving the dispatch.Contact Mercer Island Reporter Staff Reporter Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.