Mercer Island High School (MIHS) has released the names of the recipients of the Mercer Island Community Scholarship.
The honor was initiated in 1976 by the Mercer Island Parent Teacher Association (PTA) council. Each year, teachers pick one to three students in each department to receive a scholarship of up to $500, which is administered by the council.
Ordinarily, those selected would be recognized at their own awards ceremony. But due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) concerns, recipients will now be recognized during MIHS’s planned “drive-thru” graduation on June 9.
2020 recipients are:
- Braman Family Writing Award — Annie Poole
- Crest Award — Taylor Richards
- CCR Award — Francine Borromeo and Ryan Cotter
- Drama Award — Caroline Tanzer
- English Award — Meghana Kakubal, Manisha Maru and Natalie Smith
- Marketing Award — Tara Manhas
- Math Award — Sophis Kirmer, Peyton Rapo and Corwin Silverman
- Music Award — Charles Eriksson, Lauren Nakatsu and Otto Sharples
- Principal’s Award — Kathryn Orozco
- Science Award — Ellie Bailey, Marissa Garrido and Adam Kipust
- Social Studies Award — Allison Hixson, Lila Shroff and Jack (Chakri) Swartz
- Visual Arts Award — Kate Hamilton and Zitong Wang
- World Language Award — Henry Do for Spanish, Boaz Malakoff for French and Alexander Patel for Chinese
- Yearbook Award — Sidnee Martin