The annual Giving from the Heart breakfast supporting Mercer Island Youth and Family Services (MIYFS) will take place tomorrow, Wednesday Feb. 10 at the Community and Event Center. Doors open at 7 a.m. and the coffee and breakfast program take place from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. The honorary co-chairs for this year’s event are Sandy and Ken Glass.
During the presentation, attendees are invited to make a contribution to MIYFS with a suggested donation of $250 or more per person. There are a record number of attendees this year.
The community center parking lot holds about 200 cars. Event organizers have arranged shuttle service to and from the north and south Luther Burbank lots for overflow parking. MIYFS staff will greet attendees and help them find your name badge and table number. Island Treats will be for sale in the foyer; proceeds support MIYFS.
The guest speaker will be Island resident and Deputy County Executive Fred Jarrett, who will speak about the most recent King County Initiative, Best Starts for Kids.
According to the King County website, the program will be the most comprehensive approach to early childhood development in the nation, starting with prenatal support, sustaining the gain through teenage years, and investing in healthy, safe communities that reinforce progress. Also on Wednesday is the Giving from the Heart shopping day, where 15 local businesses will donate 20 percent of proceeds to MIYFS.
1. All the Best Pet Care at 3037 78th Ave. SE
2. Au Courant | The Den | POSH at 7900 SE 28th St., Suite 100
3. AutoSpa at 2730 80th Ave. SE
4. c.michele Interior Lifestyles at 7605 SE 27th St., Suite 102
5. Clarke & Clarke, Art + Artifacts at 7605 SE 27th St.
6. David Weed Orthodontics at 2955 80th Ave. SE, Suite 100
7. Freshy’s Market at 2411 76th Ave. SE
8. Island Books at 3014 78th Ave. SE
9. Island Treats at the Community Center and pop-up shop at Freshy’s, 2411 76th Ave. SE
10. Mercer Island Athletic Club at 2630 77th Ave. SE
11. Mercer Island Florist at 3006 78th Ave. SE
12. Pete’s South Mercer Chevron at 8407 SE 68th St.
13. Phat 12 Island Broiler at 2707 78th Ave. SE
14. Studio 904 at 3041 78th Ave. SE
15. Yogabliss at 7803 SE 27th St., #174
For more information about the event or the Business Partners, contact Sari Weiss at (206) 275-7756.
MIYFS touches every member of our community directly or indirectly through counselors in the schools, senior outreach and advocacy, affordable family and individual counseling, arrested youth and early intervention programs, family assistance and a thriving thrift shop.
Here’s how donations support the Mercer Island community, as shared by MIYFS:
Over 100 children received meals and gifts during the 2015 November and December holiday season.
The Food Pantry, located in the Luther Burbank office, had 1,500 visits in 2015.
Through MIYFS’ substance use advocacy and education coalition, known as Communities That Care, Mercer Island High School students started the SAFE Club – offering a safe haven for students who want to steer clear of marijuana, alcohol, and other substances, and who in turn inspire others to make that choice too.
While many seniors on Mercer Island are aging well and staying active and engaged in the community, many others (or their adult children) reach out to MIYFS for in-home assessments, case management, grief and loss support, and caregiver support classes. In 2015, nearly 400 Mercer Island seniors were assisted by MIYFS dedicated Geriatric Specialist Betsy Zuber.
Learn more, register, or consider making a donation to MIYFS at www.miyfs.org.