With residents exiting their homes to take advantage of the summer evening hours, the Mercer Island Police Department has provided the following safety tips:
* Carry a flashlight or a personal light to be more visible to passing vehicles and pedestrians.
* Carry a cell phone in case it’s needed to make an emergency call.
* Be aware of one’s surroundings. Call 911 and report suspicious activity.
* Walk and exercise in well-lit areas.
* Before heading out, make a travel plan, tell someone of the plan, and make sure there’s a way to communicate with them.
* Wear clothing that is visible and/or reflective to passing vehicles and pedestrians.