Superintendent Donna Colosky. File photo

Superintendent Donna Colosky. File photo

A message from the MISD superintendent

Dear Mercer Island Community,

There exists confusion regarding the Mercer Island School District’s finances, enrollment, and academic standards. I would like to provide an accurate written outline of the state of the District. My hope is that this letter creates clarity for our community.

As part of a continuing state-wide trend, enrollment has come in below projections for a second consecutive year. Data collected from families who withdrew indicates that 62.7% moved out of the district boundaries; 15.9% went to private schools; 3.6% chose homeschool; 2.6% chose virtual school; and 15.3% did not respond.

While the District’s reserves will be reduced again this year, the District will not be insolvent. After the 2020-21 year-end report is finalized (this November), the District estimates a beginning reserve amount of approximately $5 million or 7% for the 2021-22 year. Historically, the District spends 95% of its Board-approved budget authority. The remaining 5% that will likely not be expended constitutes about $1.7 – $2 million. While the adopted 2021-2022 budget shows the District’s reserves being depleted by $5.2 million, at this time we believe this reduction in reserves will be closer to $3 million. Thus, the District estimates that its 2021-22 ending reserve will be approximately $2 million.

The District will continue to look at curtailing spending while still providing quality educational opportunities. The District will have more concrete projections at the November and December 2021 Board meetings.

The District is not discontinuing any services to our students. Advanced Placement, honors classes, and Highly Capable services continue to be available for our students. Instead, the District continues to look at providing services in an inclusive manner.

For more information, I encourage community members to watch the recent School Board meetings, available on the District website.

Donna Colosky, MISD Superintendent


In consideration of how we voice our opinions in the modern world, we’ve closed comments on our websites. We value the opinions of our readers and we encourage you to keep the conversation going.

Please feel free to share your story tips by emailing editor@mi-reporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.mi-reporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) We reserve the right to edit letters, but if you keep yours to 300 words or less, we won’t ask you to shorten it.

More in Letters to the Editor

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Plunge for Nile Clarke | Letters

Plunge for Nile Thank you for your article about Nile Clarke. It… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Thank you from Friends of Luther Burbank Park | Letters

Friends of Luther Burbank Park members and board wish to thank the… Continue reading

Superintendent Donna Colosky. File photo
A message from the MISD superintendent

Dear Mercer Island Community, There exists confusion regarding the Mercer Island School… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Even more Mercer Island candidate letters | Election 2021

Editor’s note: Due to the volume of letters endorsing Mercer Island candidates… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Firefighter endorsement for local candidates | Letters

Firefighter endorsement Your Mercer Island Firefighters work in a profession where we… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
More Mercer Island candidate letters | Election 2021

Editor’s note: Due to the volume of letters endorsing Mercer Island candidates… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Guest editorial: A non-partisan election in Mercer Island?

Mercer Island City Council elections by design are nonpartisan. Given this, it… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Biking community mourns park’s temporary closure | Letters

Park’s closure disappoints family My family was deeply disappointed to learn of… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Thank you, MICF | Letters

Thank you, MICF As summer comes to an end, we would like… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Mercer Island candidate letters | Election 2021

Editor’s note: Due to the volume of letters endorsing Mercer Island candidates… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Thank you for your leadership in Mercer Island | Letters

I want to commend Laurie Givan for her directorship of the Mercer… Continue reading

Email editor@mi-reporter.com
Putting Mercer Island on top | Letters

Dear Islanders, The need to mitigate climate change has never been more… Continue reading